The Silver Lining Weblog
Some time back, Atom.io replaced Sublime Text as my go-to editor of selection for most things (I nonetheless use Visual Studio for .Net, however I work at Microsoft so that’s expected I assume.) Since I work on the documentation group, a whole lot of what I take advantage of Atom for is Markdown authoring. Some people on my team have requested about my recommendations on utilizing Atom for Markdown editing, so I believed this might be interesting for those outdoors the documentation crew additionally.
Out of the box, Atom has pretty good assist for Markdown. It has syntax highlighting and rendered preview functionality right out of the field, along with support for issues like GitHub flavored Markdown. Nevertheless, in case you are coming from a devoted Markdown editor reminiscent of Markdown Pad you may miss options like a preview that captain america shield white shirt mockup scrolls in sync with the Markdown view.
Luckily, Atom has quite a lot of group generated packages that can be installed to provide further functionality. Here are the ones I recommend:
– Markdown-Writer: Adds a bunch of keyboard commands for things like text formatting and creating links & images, along with assist for popular static site running a blog platforms.
– Markdown-Scroll-Sync: Makes the rendered preview scroll in sync with the Markdown view.
– Markdown-Format: Makes your Markdown pretty while you save. Things like renumbering lists so that they are literally in order (vs. the 1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 5, eight, 9 I always appear to find yourself with,) and padding cells in GitHub Flavored Markdown tables so they’re more readable.
There’s more than this, so I am going to go away it to you to explore the opposite Markdown associated packages.
As soon as you’ve got installed Atom.io, to install these or every other packages, carry out the following steps:
1. From the File menu, choose Settings, then Install. Enter the title of the package you want to put in (or a part of the title, similar to Markdown to see all packages that contain that word.)
2. Click the Set up button beside the package deal. If you wish to read more in regards to the package before putting in, click on the title of the package deal and it’ll open your browser and show extra data.
Once put in, you can use the Packages tab from Settings to disable, allow, or configure packages.
While some packages have their own configuration, additionally, you will need to take a look at File, Settings, Settings to configure the following settings for Markdown authoring:
– Tab length: If Soft tabs is enabled, then it is best to set this to 4 since Markdown expects both a single tab or 4 spaces when indenting.
– Comfortable wrap, Tender wrap and most well-liked line length, and Preferred line length: This causes the editor to wrap traces at the desired line size. Otherwise, paragraphs will scroll off the editor to the correct. Makes issues much more readable, particularly when the preview window is open.
This final one is a matter of desire. Markdown-Writer does its personal special factor with the tab key for indention. In the present version, on Windows, it solely appears to indent in a listing, whereas I want it to indent all over the place when i hit the tab key. You’ll be able to override the present Markdown-Writer performance by doing the following:
1. File, Settings, Keybindings, then click the hyperlink to your keymap file at the highest of the page.
2. Add the next new lines to the tip of the keymap.cson file:
This restores regular tab functionality for Markdown editing. Notice: If you are utilizing something like Markdown-Format, it might convert 4 spaces to tabs robotically whenever you save.
– To toggle the Markdown preview, use ctrl-shift-m.
– If you’ve opend Atom to a selected folder, and it’s exhibiting the tree view side bar, you possibly can dismiss it with ctrl-.
– Atom.io checks for captain america shield white shirt mockup bundle updates robotically. In case you see a blue box in the decrease right-hand corner, which means some packages have been updated. Click on on the blue box to install them.
– If you’re working in a folder that incorporates a variety of Markdown recordsdata, do not even try using the tree view. It is 100x easier to use ctrl-t and then start typing the file identify you want to open. This can search through the listing structure for information that match the text you have entered, and you can then click on the one you want.
– In the event you need to vary the indentation for a section of textual content (for instance, a piece of source code,) just choose it and hit ctrl-[ or ] to alter the indent stage.
So what about Visual Studio Code
Yes, Visible Studio Code is good, and it has some primary Markdown help. But it is brand new and the extensibility story hasn’t materialized yet. So while it can be used for Markdown right now, it doesn’t have all the issues I need/need from a Markdown editor.
Long run, it might kick Atom off my system once the neighborhood can start extending it. I will evaluate it and do a weblog on it once we get to that time.
Atom.io is a great Markdown authoring device for people who need a generic, extensible Markdown editor. Whereas it could not have all the bells and whistles, or speed of a dedicated Markdown device, it has sufficient functionality and extensibility to get the job accomplished. Because it additionally handles code authoring, it is also a pleasant approach to reduce the number of specialized tools loaded on your workstation.